Wednesday 11 April 2012

Machita: my role as an ambassador

Hello, my name is Machita, mum to twin sons aged eighteen who both have Aspergers and I am proud to be a National Autistic Society (NAS) Ambassador.

Taking on the role has opened up many opportunities for me to help in the campaign to bring autism to life to people that are aware, some interested and some not that autism exists. These opportunities have ranged from writing letters, being interviewed for a website feature, press releases, contributing to an NAS DVD to speaking at the All Party Parliamentary Group for Autism at Westminster and being involved in a lobby day at Westminster regarding the Health and Social Care Bill in relation to autism.

I was delighted to be asked to take part in all of these activities and said yes straight away: then was the time to think about what I had said yes too and panic a little! No need to panic though because I know what I am talking about, after all who could make up the many experiences me and my family have lived through and continue to face into the future and who would want too!

If you have an opportunity to contribute to improving the lives of people with autism and their families, go for it, don’t panic and always remember you know more than the people you are speaking too because you have the real life experience and it is their responsibility to listen to you. It is amazingly rewarding and the staff at the NAS are hugely supportive which makes it a great experience all round.

Machita

No comments:

Post a Comment